Sunday 27 October 2019

Textiles illustration: Blue

'Blue Butterfly', illustration, Evelyn(2019)

Here is a sketch for my major project. I named it 'Blue Butterfly' because I got the inspiration from patterns on butterflies' wings. This design links to my initial idea and I think it works well in blue. Blue can be found in nature such as the pale blue of a daylight sky and rich dark blue of a deep pool of water. In psychology claims that is the reason why blue let people feel calm and peaceful. I think it also shows the feeling of butterflies. I think it was a quite nice combination of blue and patterns of butterflies' wings. Also, I left some parts blank because it would not look boring if the whole piece filled with blue colours. This is my initial design and I think it works quite well.

Besides, blue is often seen as a sign of stability and reliability. Businesses often apply blue in their advertising and marketing efforts if they want to project the image of security. By using this idea, I will create a sketch here. I made an advert poster about the airport express. It matches the report of psychology. The airport express is a transport that blue can gives a sign of safety.




First, I continue to use the SketchBook in iPad Pro. I created a second layer that I can draw a same size square as the first one. Then I have chosen to use a ruler to draw straight lines.



Besides, I wanted to make clear edges so I did not fill the colour with a brush. I used the 'Fill' tool to colour the square in blue.

The same step, continue to create squares or rectangles with the shape tool. 

Fill the ground colour with deep blue. I think it is a strong contrast that the viewer can see what exactly in the picture. I used 'third rule' in Art, which provided nice composition between the sky and the ground.

A simple illustration was done. The blue colours make the image calm and it works well for the feeling of safety. Moreover, 'Blue' is not only a colour, but it is also a mood of a person, means for melancholy, sad or depressed. Therefore, I combined this meaning to a blue flower. I was inspired by the shape of these flowers. They are facing down, just like sad people's heads. I created another layer in the SketchBook.
I drew a branch of flowers then I realized it was too simple. Then I added a few more shadows of decaying blue flowers at the back, it looks much nicer and I found it a little bit similar to  Lindsay Phillip Butterfield's work. It was kind of 2D illustration style. Flat colours and clear outlines. Here is an example of Lindsay Phillip Butterfield's work.


Poppies furnishing fabric, designed by Lindsay Phillip Butterfield for Turnbull & Stockdale Ltd., 1901, England. Museum no. CIRC.270-1958. © Victoria and Albert Museum, London

References: BURST.D.(2018) How can use psychology of colors when marketing, https://smallbiztrends.com/2014/06/psychology-of-colors.html
CHERRY.K.(2019) https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-blue-2795815
KRAMER.L.(2019) How to use colors in marketing and advertising, https://99designs.co.uk/blog/tips/colors-marketing-advertising/
PHILIP.L.(1901)Poppies furnishing fabric, https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/pattern-design-after-william-morris


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whale Carcasses

From birth to death, whales belong to nature. These ancient creatures come back to the ocean and their bodies benefit other sea species. Evi...