Sunday 24 May 2020

Art Portfolio: 3D piece


To test which technique works, I made experiments. I found it is difficult to sew on the white plastic shown above; so I decided to use glue to fix the straws. The picture in the middle shows three different layers; the first layer and the second one were hand-stitched. I found the first layer was easier to create and it is more three dimensional than the second one. Besides, I tried to use two pieces of white plastic to give volume. It did not work as it is flattened. As a result, the first layer shows the best effect. However, I want to make as similar to my original design, so I chose the second pattern. I hope it will look better on a big scale. I thought it did not look good because it was not thick enough. Then I made a sample using fabric. I found it is the problem of the way to stitch. If I screw them a bit, it may have an effect like the first layer.

I started to make a plan for creating the 3D piece; I noted down ratios of each piece.
I made a shape of the top roughly then I hanged it up. I began to make the shape more accurate and use double-sided tape to stick edges. I was not able to apply clean edges with s scissor, so I changed to use a cutting knife. I cut straws into small pieces and used a glove gun to stick them. 
I placed plastic on the floor because it was easier to work on big scaled pieces.
I photographed the working process using a mobile phone and upload them to my laptop. I created a contact sheet on Photoshop.

Then I selected the best image and started to edit it on Photoshop to create a final piece. First I used the object selection tool to crop out the background and used a colour background to replace it. Then I used the eraser tool to make clean edges.
I found a very useful tool, 'Eyesdropper' that it helps me to find an accurate colour that I wanted.
This is the final outcome of the 3D dress. I uploaded it to my website's gallery which as my portfolio. The link of my website: website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whale Carcasses

From birth to death, whales belong to nature. These ancient creatures come back to the ocean and their bodies benefit other sea species. Evi...