Sunday 17 November 2019

Additional work: Photography Induction

I have attended a photography induction in the Art Factory. The topic I was working on is ' Traces of you'. Literally, I took photographs that can prove I have been there or I have used those objects.


Trace has different definitions. For example, it means to find something or someone lost. If I use this idea in my works, I perhaps take a few sequential photos about how I disappear from a place, such as I walk through a corridor. It may be something like the pictures I posted before.




But  I don't think the quality of this section, it is not good enough for now. Therefore, I decided to look into another definition. I was interested in the causes or origins of something or to find the description of something has developed. Then I found something interesting.

To begin with, I took a picture when I was spinning a pencil. I always do that when I am thinking, so I think it might be a trace of me.

The camera caught the amazing movement of the pencil, it surprised me. But when I showed to Zoe and she suggested me to shoot it on a white paper, the green cutting mat does not make professional photos.

Then I had a try with a white background. They look much better, but I think the light level should be higher. The ISO was 400, I need to change the Exposure Comp level higher by press +/- bottom next to ISO.











I also took three pictures of line drawings and see how it goes.



Here is another series, 'Flipping a book'. I was flipping my 3D book sculpture. There are 22 pictures, so I combined them through PhotoScape X and I used sic columns tile. Some problem with these pictures, too dark. 

More photographs here.


These are pictures of my Land Art, I like the details of the peanuts, but it is not exciting enough.


I changed the setting to 2 columns and increase the roundness percentage. I combined the paper cut with my land art sculpture. Furthermore, I used black papers to create the background. It allows the book paper to stand out. Also, it shows a very nice outcome, the combination of paper cut and Land Art. The viewers can see the plants through holes on paper.
I like the tiny and exquisite necklace. This is one of my favourites. I continued to use a black background. It shows more details, light and shadow of the silver necklace. If I use white paper, it may be too bright and fail to show a clear outline of the small bike.
This bag also very important to me.  I have been using it for a few years and it has broken many times. I used thread to sew it, but the thread keeps coming unstitched.

Some marks show on the eraser.

Moreover, I am a person who likes wearing a watch all the time that I found beautiful traces on my watch.


This is my favourites photograph, I combined the rest of them as a contact sheet.


I think it is a nice experience that I not only learnt some basic techniques of using a camera, also the quality of the photographs also improved by help from Zoe. I agree with what she said, Photography is not focused on how much work you produce, it how many knowledge you gained in class.


References: Cambridge Dictionary. [online] https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/trace
[viewed]17/11/19


1 comment:

  1. Good work here on your photography, some very good close up work - nice and shary and on the motion of the pencil - excellent

    ReplyDelete

Whale Carcasses

From birth to death, whales belong to nature. These ancient creatures come back to the ocean and their bodies benefit other sea species. Evi...