Saturday 11 April 2020

Final Show: Logo Design

This blog illustrates some ideas of my brand logo design. First of all, the picture below is the previous version which I designed for my website. For making improvement, I have looked at some famous fashion designers' brand logos and see how they work.


I brainstormed for the brand logo. Here is the sketches.

One of my favourite fashion brands is Karl Lagerfeld. Its logo looks very simple. As Karl Lagerfeld is one of the most celebrated designers in the 21 century, this logo includes his head in letter 'K' in his name. It is a quite smart idea to design a logo.

For my design, I change the idea of Karl Lagerfeld's logo. I made my name as a human face which combined by two Chinese characters '空白' and the meaning is 'empty'. The characters are in two circles, looks like a stamp. I added '空白' in Japanese underneath and also the year I created my website. 

This idea came from a Japanese animation, 'NO GAME No LIFE'. I very like the main characters,'くうはく', then I have used this name as a nickname for many years. Here also from an inspiration of a brand, 'SuperDry', where it also mixed the Chinese and Japanese in the brand logo.



I made a questionnaire for my sketches of brand logo designs and this one is the most popular. The idea of squares is from one of my favourite Japanese clothing brand 'UNIQLO', with bold text and sharp colour background.


Since 'くうはく' means 'empty' and 'nothing', there is a concept. The aim of this brand is to make anything be possible and always creative. Just like adding text to a blank paper. These squares just like digital files in laptop. The number is infinite and all about creating. I continued to use purple as my theme colour.
These two logo does not show my subject area well- Textiles Fashion. Then I created a more simple and direct logo specific for the final show, using 'Sketchbook' on iPad Pro. I simplify my name 'Evelyn Chow' to 'EC' and create a symbol. I  used the original colour palette from the final outcome, so it looks matched to the whole theme colours of the show and the poster.


I also tried to create a brand logo online. There is a platform called 'Brand Crowd'. It is quite convenient that there are two search boxes. I can fill a subject and my brand name there and it will show design ideas in relation. I wanted to find the similar colours to my project, it was difficult. Here is the final version by using the website. Compare to the last one, I prefer the one created by 'Sketchbook'. It is still a nice try to use different tools.




Reference List: 

LAGERFELD, K. (2000) ABOUT THE BRAND. [Online image] Available from: about-us [Accessed by 11/04/20]

SUPERDRY (2020) About us. [Online image] Available from:  https://www.superdry.com/component/content/article/823 [Accessed by 11/04/20]

UNIQLO (2020) UNIQLO UK. [Online image] Available from: https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/account. [Accessed by 11/04/20]

BRANDCROWD (2020) Sewing Ideas Logo. [Online image] Available from: BrandCrowd. [Accessed 29/04/20]

1 comment:

  1. As i stated on the posters - this logo does not really go with the postr and it doesn't intanstaly say fashion to me -= I think you need to really consider your audience

    ReplyDelete

Whale Carcasses

From birth to death, whales belong to nature. These ancient creatures come back to the ocean and their bodies benefit other sea species. Evi...