Saturday 18 April 2020

Final Show: Poster concept

I am designing a poster to advertise my final show. The working process and final outcome of the poster will illustrate in this blog. Here is an example in the poster brief.

 TheheARTbeatgal Blog, Urban Art Show Poster [Online image] https://theheartbeat.ca/2012/07/25/urban-art-show/ [Accessed 25/06/18]
This is a standard form of a poster, which includes the title of the show, date, time, location, artists, website address, brands, sponsors, and a picture at the background.
Then, I made a draft poster using 'Sketchbook' on the iPad.


To brainstorm ideas, I started looking for more exhibitions' posters.

 Image from Chloe Friend

A draft inspired by Chloe’s poster, made by Evelyn
I created a new version by looking at Carlos Cruz. See the example below.
I added a shadow of a girl as her design.
 Carlos Cruz-Diez's poster, 2015
However, I think the first version is too wordy and messy. To make it more organised, I rearrange the text.
I researched some textiles fashion shows' poster and get inspirations from them because the previous posters seem to be not successful. The third figure shows a poster of the Cardiff School of Art & Design. I used the idea of how it illustrates images of objects related to textiles, using a digital tool called 'Layout' on my mobile phone. (iPhone 6s)

'Layout', App for editing pictures

I selected the image of my final outcome and used the last layout to create an image combined with squares, which is similar to the poster design by Cardiff School.

 TEXTILES DEGREE SHOW (2013) Cardiff School of Art & Design

The background looks 'messy' because of the textural design on clothes. Therefore, I searched for another poster and referenced the way how it adds text. I used 'Sketchbook' on iPad Pro to draw a white rectangle. Then I change a lower opacity that the audiences can see the text and images underneath at the same time.
 CONTEMPORARY TEXTILE PRACTICE DEGREE SHOW (2012) Cardiff School of Art & Design

Therefore, I created another poster (picture below), using the original colour palette and designed another brand logo specific for this show. It looks better, that the logo is more clear to see and the poster's colours are in relation. This logo matches the colours of the poster now.  I think I can add a link of my website at the bottom of this poster that the viewers can access the virtual show on the internet. Also, social media may be necessary, such as blogger. It allows the audience to chase lastest information of the show and know more about the working process or additional information.


Draft of new ideas.
I changed the colours of the front.



Reference List:

CRUZ_DIEZ, C. (2015) Light Show. [Online image] Available from: light-show_2.html. [Accessed by 18/04/20]

FRIEND, C. (2015) Sowela Art Show Poster. [Online image] Available from: Sowela Art Show Poster. [Accessed by 18/04/20]

CARDIFFSCHOOLOF ART&DESIGN (2012) CONTEMPORARY TEXTILE PRACTICE DEGREE SHOW. [Online image] Available from: Degree show. [Accessed by 30/04/20]

CARDIFFSCHOOLOF ART&DESIGN (2013) TEXTILES DEGREE SHOW. [Online image] Available form: Degree show 2013. [Accessed by 30/04/20]

1 comment:

  1. You have posted these but there is not really much commentary I am confused again about your subject area - please be clear if this is a fashion and textile show say so because otherwise the audience will not know that - also you logo and poster colours do not seem to match - I think this needs to be a much cleaner design that actually shows some fashion and textile work that would be in the show!

    ReplyDelete

Whale Carcasses

From birth to death, whales belong to nature. These ancient creatures come back to the ocean and their bodies benefit other sea species. Evi...